Black Bean Breakfast Bowl
“This quick and easy breakfast is loaded with protein and flavor from layers of black beans, scrambled eggs, avocado, and salsa.”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Cook and stir eggs until eggs are set, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place black beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on High in the microwave until warm, about 1 minute.
- Divide warmed black beans between two bowls.
- Top each bowl with scrambled eggs, avocado, and salsa. Season with salt and black pepper.
Good-Morning Banana Nut Cereal
“Quinoa, rolled oats, and oat bran are cooked into a delicious hot cereal with banana and walnuts to help satisfy you and keep you full.”
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon quinoa
- 1/2 small banana, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon oat bran
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir the water, milk, and quinoa together in a saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, or until the quinoa begins to soften. Stir in the banana, rolled oats, oat bran, salt, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently over low heat for 2 to 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts, brown sugar, and vanilla.
Egg & Salmon Sandwich
Smoked salmon and egg whites on a toasted whole-wheat English muffin is the perfect power breakfast. For a more substantial meal, pair it with a piece of fruit or a glass of 100% juice.
1 sandwich | Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped (optional)
- 1 ounce smoked salmon
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Add egg whites, salt and capers (if using) and cook, stirring constantly, until whites are set, about 30 seconds.
- To make the sandwich, layer the egg whites, smoked salmon and tomato on English muffin.
Per serving : 214 Calories; 5 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 7 mg Cholesterol; 25 g Carbohydrates; 19 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 670 mg Sodium; 221 mg Potassium
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
Quick Breakfast Taco
From EatingWell: May/June 2008, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008), The EatingWell Diet (2007)
1 serving | Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- Top tortillas with salsa and cheese. Heat in the microwave until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat, add egg substitute and cook, stirring, until the eggs are cooked through, about 90 seconds. Divide the scrambled egg between the tacos.
Per serving : 153 Calories; 2 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 3 mg Cholesterol; 15 g Carbohydrates; 17 g Protein; 0 g Fiber; 453 mg Sodium; 207 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 very lean meat
Salsa-Tofu Breakfast Burrito
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Even though this healthy breakfast burrito comes together in just 5 minutes, you can make this burrito even faster by skipping the skillet and combining the tofu, salsa, salt and pepper in a bowl and microwaving until hot, about 1 minute. Use soy cheese to make it a vegan burrito.
1 serving | Active Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, salt and pepper; continue cooking until heated through, about 30 seconds. Spread cheese down the center of tortilla. Top with the tofu mixture. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll into a burrito.
Per serving : 259 Calories; 13 g Fat; 4 g Sat; 6 g Mono; 13 mg Cholesterol; 30 g Carbohydrates; 15 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 648 mg Sodium; 341 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
Citrus Berry Smoothie
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This meal-in-a-glass smoothie is bursting with berries and orange juice, healthful sources of carbohydrate and powerful antioxidants. Getting plenty of antioxidant-rich foods makes sense for active people, since free radicals are produced any time the body’s cells process oxygen.
1 smoothie, about 2 cups | Active Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups fresh berries
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place berries, yogurt, orange juice, dry milk, wheat germ, honey and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
Per serving : 432 Calories; 3 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 15 mg Cholesterol; 77 g Carbohydrates; 20 g Protein; 7 g Fiber; 250 mg Sodium; 617 mg Potassium
4 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 2 low-fat milk
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
A creamy avocado makes a surprise appearance in a sweet beverage.
2 servings | Active Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup raspberry juice
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, (not thawed)
- Puree avocado, orange juice, raspberry juice and raspberries in a blender until smooth.
Per serving : 249 Calories; 14 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 9 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 32 g Carbohydrates; 3 g Protein; 7 g Fiber; 14 mg Sodium; 625 mg Potassium
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 fat